"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, January 29, 2010

Perspective

During this week, I have been pondering the topic of perspective. The world appears differently, depending on where we are standing at the time. Several examples come to mind.

As part of our Flight Nurse training in the Air Force, we were required to go through three days of survival training. This was a wilderness experience in a geographical area unknown to any of us who participated. I could not find my way back there if my life depended on it! During survival training, I ate armadillo and rattlesnake which were cooked over an open fire. Your first reaction might be to grimace and say how unappetizing that sounds. But, I was coming from a hungry perspective. If armadillo fajitas or rattlesnake pizza were on a menu today, it is likely that I would not order them because there is an entire menu filled with choices that I might prefer. Different perspectives....

Last week I was talking with a man who had knee surgery a few months ago. He was sharing about how weather changes affect his knee and worsen the pain. When I told this gentleman that I hoped his knee would feel better soon, he replied, "I do too. It can't get any worse." From his perspective, the pain was as bad as it could get. But, the situation could be worse. Ask someone who has lost a leg in the war, due to a vehicle accident, or from complications of diabetes. Different perspectives...

During another recent conversation, I told a gentleman that I was glad he was able to get up and go to work each day. He quipped, "Is that a good thing?" Not a good question to ask someone whose husband has not been physically able to go to work for almost a year. Yes, it is a blessing to be able to get up and go to work. Ask someone who has been laid off from a job and is struggling to make ends meet. Different perspectives....

At this point in time, we see the world from our limited view from where we are standing. But, someday, we will see things from a very different perspective.

1 Corinthians 13:12 - "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

1 comment:

  1. I think we should always try to find good in all situations, that doesn't mean it's always easy but if we look really, really hard we can always find something positive in our situations as opposed to all the negative reactions. I think a lot of times people need to think before they speak because I think they tend to forget, it's not our job to judge. There's a higher power whose job that is.
    ~DEBBIE~

    ReplyDelete