"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, January 18, 2010

Books

I love books. And, I love things that have pictures of books on them. It is so easy to look back after we have read the entire book and see how the chapters fit together to make the story complete. However, when we are in the middle of a chapter somewhere in the middle of a book, the story does not yet make total sense.

Our lives, in many ways, are like books. Some chapters are finished, while other chapters have not yet been written. But, there is a difference that comes to mind. When we look at a book, we can easily see how many chapters are in it. We can't tell that about our lives. We could be in the middle of our life book, or we could be writing one of the final chapters. It has nothing to do with age.

During the last couple of months, I have attended three funerals. The ages of the deceased were 40, 18, and 51 years-old. I have already had the privilege of living longer than either of those dear ones who recently passed away.

It occurs to me that I don't need to put off doing what I feel prompted to do, whether it is saying an encouraging word, singing or playing a song, giving a testimony, spending time with loved ones, or any number of other things.

I want to share an excerpt that I love from Florence Littauer's book entitled "Silver Boxes....The Gift of Encouragement":

"Do you know someone who has...

A song waiting to be sung?
Some art waiting to be hung?
A piece waiting to be played?
A scene waiting to be staged?
A tale waiting to be told?
A book waiting to be sold?
A rhyme waiting to be read?
A speech waiting to be said?

If you do, don't let them die with the music still in them."



1 comment:

  1. I love that! Jill, you always have beautiful and encouraging things to say. I'll bet you have a really hard time saying stern things when needed!

    ReplyDelete