"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Believing

I love this quote by Pablo Picasso: "My mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a General; if you become a monk, you'll end up as the Pope.' Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso."

My mother has always believed that each of her four daughters could do anything that we set our minds to do. And, she loves to volunteer us to do things that she is most confident we are equipped to do, even when we may not be nearly as confident as she is about it. Her volunteering could involve our speaking, singing, presenting a program, or any other volunteer effort that comes to her mind. Then there was the time when she needed a poem to put with an unfinished crocheted afghan that she was taking to a baby shower. And, I can't forget being asked to write a poem to put with the silk bosom purses that Mama makes and sometimes gives as gifts. (The disclaimer is that someone else gave that poem its title which is "Got Bosom?".) Mama says that she is paying me back for volunteering her for everything when I was a young girl. When the teacher would ask whose mother could drive on a field trip or dye eggs at Easter time or help with a party or any other number of things, my hand was the first to fly up in the air. I would excitedly say, "My mother can do it.....She doesn't work!" I had no idea just how hard my mother worked until much later in life when I became a mom.

It occurs to me that we need someone to believe in us. And, there are those who are starving for us to truly see them and to let them know that we believe in them.

1 Corinthians 13:7 ....Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

1 comment:

  1. And...you're a poet? Now you have to tell us about Got Bosom and the silk purses. What is a bosom purse?

    ReplyDelete