"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, January 8, 2010

Lessons from Pat

I am pondering some things that I learned from Pat during our "Sandra Sister project" in 2008. These are in no particular order:

1) It is never too late to learn ---

Pat was 77 years -old. During his final year, he started taking Hebrew lessons online. He laughed as he told me that he only ordered Phase I of the lessons because he didn't think he would live long enough to get to Phase II. After Pat described how difficult the lessons were, I told him that no one would live long enough to make it to Phase II.

2) Don't miss the miracles --

Pat talked about how everyone wants to pray for a miracle when someone is diagnosed with cancer. But, he explained that he lived a miracle every day. The miracle is not in whether you live for 6 weeks or 6 months or 6 years. Pat said, "The miracle is that I can wake up each morning and face whatever the day brings."

3) One kind action can make a difference in the lives around us--

During Pat's last year, he became involved in a Hospice support group. He referred to them as his friends who were also on the "short list". Pat talked about how he took a friend to Grandfather Mountain and to ride the Tweetsie Railroad as she had never done that, and wanted to go. (Side Note: If you have not seen the movie called "The Bucket List", I highly recommend it as it will change the way that you think and live.)

4) Never stop having goals--

Pat said that he would like to write a book entitled "Hospice Humor". He laughed as he explained that no one would appreciate it other than those who were dying. Even to his very last day, Pat had goals and aspirations.

5) Sometimes it is necessary to find ways to adapt...

Pat had read the Bible over the years. However, since his life expectancy was uncertain, he decided to explore the possibility of Bible Cliff Notes so that he could possibly read the Bible through several times. He was delighted to find a set of Cliff Notes which covered the Bible in 200 to 250 pages. Before Pat died, he had read the condensed version of the Bible three or four times.

6) Never hesitate to call or visit the sick...

Pat said that people are often reluctant to call or visit someone who has cancer as they may be resting or "not up to a call". He encouraged us to "Call! It means the world to them." They or their family can tell you if they are not up to the call or visit at that time.

This does not even begin to scratch the surface of what I learned from Pat.
With his humor, passion, and master storytelling abilities, he touched lives everywhere he went. I am thankful that our paths crossed in this life. Like Pat, I want to make a difference.


1 comment:

  1. I want you to know that you are making a difference in MY life. I find myself thinking about things I read in your blog throughout the day. Pat sounds like a rare and awesome friend. The Bucket List is a must see for everyone, what a great movie!

    ReplyDelete