"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, January 4, 2010

Beginnings

I read something this morning that just blew me away. In keeping with the idea that Christmas is never over since the spirit of Christmas remains in our hearts all year long, I will share it with you. It is called "Let the Stable Still Astonish". Here goes:

"Let the stable still astonish:
Straw - dirt floor, dull eyes,
Dusty flanks of donkeys, oxen;
Crumbling, crooked walls;
No bed to carry that pain,
And then, the child,
Rag-wrapped, laid to cry
In a trough.
Who would have chosen this?
Who would have said: "Yes,
Let the God of all the heavens and earth
be born here in this place"?
Who, but the same God
Who stands in the darker, fouler room
Of our hearts
And says, "Yes,
Let the God of Heaven and earth be born here -
in this place."

The author is Leslie Leyland Fields (a new person to me). Reading that was very humbling for me. It made me very aware that my heart could be an even darker place for Jesus to take up residence than the lowly stable.

1 comment: