"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, April 2, 2010

A New Journey

Yesterday I started on a journey down a road that I have not previously traveled. I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Somehow, it helps to say it. Since it was the first day of April, I kept waiting for someone to jump out and say "April Fool!" Oh, how ecstatic I would have been if I had heard those words. But, the words never came. Somehow, the fact that I learned of the diagnosis while standing in the bank seems significant. That was my own choice, as I asked the radiologist to call me with the diagnosis, rather than my taking time to make another trip to the center. At this point, I do not recommend that choice to others. But, I really thought that the word would be that the mass was benign. We always hope for that.

I am very aware that thousands of women have traveled this road. But, this is still my journey. I anticipate that many loved ones will travel with me, whether by their presence, their prayers, their words of encouragement, a loving touch, or a hug. But, I am also very aware that others will not choose to join me on the journey, as they may not know what to do or say. My diagnosis may serve as an uncomfortable reminder that they, too, are vulnerable to this diagnosis of cancer.

There is good news. The tumor is very small (the size of a pea), and was detected very early (Stage I). It is a "lazy" form of cancer, meaning that it is not aggressive or fast growing.

I plan to take one step at a time, and to focus on my health during the days ahead. I like a quote by Mark Twain: "Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it." So, I press on while trusting that God has a plan.

"I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing so openly. You asked me before about blogging and why you should. Jill, it's very evident: "for such a time as this." Your courage and words make a difference. By the way, I'd like to accompany you on this journey in any way you need me.
    Your li'l sister in Christ,

    ReplyDelete