"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Faithfulness

On this Thursday morning, I am thinking about God's faithfulness. Two days ago I had surgery during which the surgeon removed a small tumor that had taken up residence in my left breast. While I was under anesthesia, some lymph nodes were removed and tested. What a relief to learn that there was no cancer in the lymph nodes! God is faithful. When I learned, weeks ago, that there was cancer in my body, God was faithful. And, if there had been cancer in the lymph nodes, God would have been faithful to carry me through.

Yesterday a friend reminded me of the words in Lamentations 3:22-23 ...
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness."

Consumed with what? Worry? Anger? Bitterness? Regret? Disappointment? It would be so easy to be consumed with some of those feelings. But, because of God's great love, we are NOT consumed.

Of course, that scripture brings to mind one of the old hymns of the faith...Great is Thy Faithfulness". One of my favorite lines is "Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not." In plain language, that means "God, You don't change, and Your love never fails." God is faithful to be there. Period.
People change. People leave. But, God promised that He would never leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). And, He is faithful to keep His promises.

Yes, God will be faithful to carry me through the days ahead as I heal and then go through the radiation treatments. And, it is a comfort to know that no one can snatch me out of my Father's hands (John 10:29).

Note: I encourage you to go to lesleyheartspeaks.blogspot.com as my friend has written a recent posting which encourages us to be faithful about getting our screening mammograms. You will not be surprised that I am in complete agreement about that. A lady recently said to me that she is negligent about getting her mammograms because "what I don't know won't hurt me." The truth is that what we don't know can kill us. So, make yourself a priority and schedule that mammogram if you are due for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment