"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hidden Canyons

On this night, I am pondering a prayer that I have just read. It is from a book of prayers by Steven James. The title of the book is "A Heart Exposed...Talking to God with Nothing to Hide". A friend sent it to me just days ago. Thank you, Sara. I want to share the prayer that is piercing my soul tonight:

When I actually take the time to look,
I see You've formed thousands of deep rivers
in the hidden canyons of my soul.
But for some reason, when I approach You,
I so often dip my prayers from
such shallow muddy pools instead.

Today, I drop all the religious-sounding platitudes,
the inane repetitions,
and the safe, comfortable shiny prayers
that I typically offer you.

Today I bring you
the rough-cut boulders of my heart.

Here are my nagging questions,
my disquieting loves,
my troubling secrets,
and my very human needs.
I give them all to you today,
no holding back,
no playing it safe.

Here are my unfulfilled longings,
my unmet demands,
my deeply rooted disappointments,
and the things I fear, but pretend to control.

Here, for you, O Savior,
I offer my unquenchable worship,
my wordless groans,
my deepest needs.

No more veneer.

Simply thoughts of pain,
of regret,
of hope,
of You.

Today, I give you the rushing,
tumbling waters of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment