"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Singing and Soaring

Psalm 144:9a - "I will sing a new song to You, O God.."

I am on the brink of yet another new chapter in my life. And, so is my son. We had such a special weekend at the beach. It was refreshing to be away from the things which have the potential to keep us from spending time together...computers, work, other people, overfilled schedules.

Spending quality time with Rob has been a priority for many years. In fact, we started our Tuesday "date night" tradition when he was in the early elementary school years. Since Bob had his weekly fire department meeting on Tuesday nights, it was the perfect opportunity for Rob and me to set aside that time for each other. Our time together did not include anything fancy or expensive. We would usually go out for dinner. And, the time was most important....not the specifics of what we did during that time.

Tomorrow I will be taking my son to American University in Washington, DC.
And, for the first time, he will not be coming home from school at the end of the day. Rob is very excited and understandably apprehensive as this is a huge step for him. I am also excited for Rob, and am doing everything I can to help make this new life experience happen for him. But, I must confess that this is a bittersweet time as I watch my only child spread his wings. As Rob becomes an American eagle (yes, the eagle is the university mascot!), I want him to soar. But, this mom's confession is that I am dreading the moment when I get in my car and drive home without Rob. And, I am dreading the moment when I walk in the front door of our home, knowing that Rob will not be coming in and out of that same door for several months.
I dread walking into his bedroom and seeing all of the things that remind me of my beloved son. Those may sound like selfish thoughts. But, they are my thoughts, nonetheless. A wise friend reminded me that Rob is not going to the moon, and that I will see him again. But, I must say that it feels like he is traveling to the moon.

Back to the song....I want to find the song that God has for me during this time of my life. Even on those melancholy days which will surely come, I know that God will give me a new song, just as He will have a new song for Rob. I pray that God will cover Rob and me with His protective, comforting wings.

Psalm 91:4a - "He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge."

Psalm 91:11 - "For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways."

Lord, help me to depend on You for my song during the days ahead, especially on those days when I cannot hear the music. Help me to hope in You, and help Rob to turn to You during the challenging days ahead. My desire is that both of us will, in Your strength, sing and soar!

Isaiah 40:31 - "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

No comments:

Post a Comment