"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, August 27, 2010

Expectations

It has been three weeks since I took my son, Rob, to American University in Washington, DC. As I walk through this new chapter of life, I am thinking that it might be therapeutic to record some memories. So, here is one from 1999:

Rob was 7 years-old, and had slept in later than usual since he was out of school for Veterans' Day. At 11:30pm he was having difficulty falling asleep.
I finally laid down beside him in the darkness of his room. Five to ten minutes of quietness passed, and I thought that Rob had finally fallen asleep.

Suddenly, I heard a little voice next to me saying, "Mom, there is something that I have to tell you." I replied, "What is it?". Rob said, "I think I know how to spell expectation." He spelled it for me, and I assured him that he was correct. Then he immediately fell asleep.

How many times do we lie in bed for a "spell" (pun intended!:), thinking about expectations? Did I accomplish everything that I expected that I would accomplish on that day? It is so easy to get caught up in what others expect of us, and what we expect of ourselves when what really matters is what God expects of us. And, that is outlined in His Word.

I have always been a "list person". The confession is that I sometimes write down a task that I have already accomplished so that I can immediately check it off. How crazy is that?! I suppose that some of us thrive on that feeling of accomplishment. But, life is more than a series of "to do" lists. It might surprise my son to read that as he has gone through years of "Rob Job" lists. Those were my expectations of him after his homework was completed. And, sharing responsibilities is part of being a family.

However, God does not want us to live in a prison of guilt because of an unmet expectation that we placed on ourselves, or that we allowed (yes, we gave them permission) someone else to place on us.

An old hymn of the faith says, "Give of your best to the Master." If our best did not include getting everything done on our "to do" list, then maybe we need to give ourselves a break. Perhaps we need to put down that heavy bag of expectations for a "spell". We may decide that we don't want to pick it up again.

Matthew 11:28 - Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened (Jill's note - weary and burdened from expectations?), and I will give you rest.

Lord, I know that You are beside me in the darkness and quietness of the night. Help me to say, "Father, there is something that I have to tell You." I know that You will reply, "What is it, my child?" After I tell You what is on my mind, help me to rest in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment