"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, July 26, 2010

Dan's Courageous Example

On March 14, 2010 I posted a blog entry entitled "Gentle Friendship". My dear friend and childhood basketball buddy, Dan, had just been diagnosed with cancer and was beginning a new journey down an unknown path. I shared these words: "I believe that God will put a quiet, unwavering courage and strength inside of Dan this week. I am praying that this courage and strength will be evident to all who are in his path, and that people will stand in awe of what God chooses to do in the coming days."

God has truly answered that prayer as, over the last weeks and months, Dan has consistently demonstrated an unwavering strength and courage beyond all human capability. Dan has faced surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. From the very beginning of this journey, Dan has insisted that God has a plan. He continues to trust God and to stand on a firm foundation.

There was much rejoicing yesterday as Nancy, Dan's faithful wife, announced to our congregation that the latest scan revealed no visible sign of disease in Dan's body. He will complete the last dozen chemotherapy treatments, and has a cruise scheduled in a few weeks.
Nancy reminded us that, if God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

When I wrote about my gentle friend on March 14, I had no idea that I would be diagnosed with cancer just 18 days later. While my journey, so far, has been far less extensive than Dan's journey, I found myself relating to Dan and drawing strength from his courageous example as I faced surgery and radiation treatments. I am thrilled to say that there is also no visible sign of disease in my body at this time.

A verse of an old hymn of the faith comes to mind: "Fear not, for I am with thee; O be not dismayed. For I am thy God, and I will still give thee aid. I will strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand. Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."

Dan, thank you for showing me through your life that God has a plan, that we can trust Him, and that we have a firm foundation on which to stand. I am convinced that God is not finished with us yet!

1 comment:

  1. I have goose bumps on my skin and joy in my heart for you both. I loved what Nancy said, "If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it." That is so true. His plan isn't always what we WANT it to be but praise God in these two cases the wants matched His plan!

    ReplyDelete