"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Peace and Peanut Butter

On this first day of 2012, I am eating a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter (my favorite!) mixed in, drinking a Coke Zero, and reading the first Daily Guideposts devotion for this new year. After reading the devotion, I usually turn to the back of the book and read about the writer of the devotion for that day. I have tried to make it a habit to breathe a prayer for the writer after reading about him/her.

One thing I have learned is that the Daily Guideposts devotion writers are real people who have become a family. I look forward to reading about what has happened in the lives of each writer throughout the year. There is always a theme for the year. I am so excited to learn that the theme for 2012 is "The Things That Make for Peace".

Let me back up and say that, throughout the year, there are the inevitable days when I don't slow down enough to sit and read the daily devotion. But, when I do, there are always blessings and timely messages which seem to be penned just for me.

As I read the devotion by Marion Bond West on this day, these words jumped off of the page: "I'm trying to practice being still and quiet and letting God be God." Marion, I'm with you! Your words are my heart's desire on January 1, 2012.

Psalm 46:10a - Be still and know that I am God.

John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid.

Lord, help me to take time to be still and quiet in this noisy world as I listen for Your voice. And, help me to let You be God!


No comments:

Post a Comment