"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Provision Challenge

On this late night when the outdoor temperature is dipping into the teens, I am propped up against a beautiful peach colored satin pillowcase (made by my sweet mama!) and am surrounded by some of my favorite things....books, journal, calendar, pen, highlighter, soft cream colored throw, a bear named "Pinky"....You get the picture. And, on this night, I am thinking about provisions.

My sister, Jan, is a wonderful example of someone who watches for God's provisions on a daily basis. She encouraged me to start listing God's provisions in my calendar as they occur. So, I have decided to take her up on what I will call the "2012 Provision Challenge". Perhaps I will share about God's provisions throughout the year. In fact, I will start right now. Yes, it is only the third day of 2012, and there are already provisions listed and highlighted in my new calendar.

On January 2, I wrote in my calendar that I get to skip my house payment for the month of January due to refinancing at a lower interest rate. Because of that lower interest rate, my future house payments will decrease by $177 per month. Provisions! On this evening, I stopped by a local Christian bookstore with a coupon and a gift card in hand. When I left the store, I had two new books and a nickel to spare on my gift card! That provision is penned and highlighted in my calendar.

We have a choice to live with a scarcity mentality or an abundance mentality. In the scarcity mentality world, we believe that there are only so many blessings and provisions to go around. But, in the abundance mentality, we live in a world of unlimited blessings and provisions. I am choosing the abundance mentality. After all, Jesus came to give us an abundant life. It is not His desire that we live in the scarcity mindset.

Sometimes we are blind to God's provisions, even though they are all around us. But, when we have a true desire to see the blessings and provisions, it is as if God peels the scales from our eyes. I am going to be watching for those provisions with an abundance mentality during this fresh new year!

Deuteronomy 28:11a - The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity...

Philippians 4:19 - And my God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

John 10:10b - I have come that they may have life, and have it more abundantly.

Lord, help me to watch for your abundant provisions. And, thank you for sisters who challenge us and lead the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment