"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Shooting Turkeys

I have a natural tendency to be a reflective person. But, during some emotional roller coaster years, I have learned how important it is to keep my sense of humor. In fact, it absolutely delights me to read, hear, or see something that just makes me fall out laughing. During this long Thanksgiving weekend, a friend posted on Facebook that she had shot her first turkey this Thanksgiving.....and that it shocked everyone in the frozen food section of the store!  I just fell out laughing when I read that! (Thanks, Danielle!)

With this idea in mind, I will share my favorite Thanksgiving poem of all times. It is called, "The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven".

The turkey shot out of the oven,
and rocketed into the air.
It knocked every plate off the table,
and partly demolished a chair.

It ricocheted into a corner,
and burst with a deafening boom,
then splattered all over the kitchen,
completely obscuring the room.

It stuck to the walls and the windows;
It totally coated the floor.
There was turkey attached to the ceiling
where there'd never been turkey before.

It blanketed every appliance;
It smeared every saucer and bowl.
There wasn't a way I could stop it.
That turkey was out of control!

I scraped and I scrubbed with displeasure,
and thought with chagrin as I mopped,
that I'd never again stuff a turkey...
with popcorn that hadn't been popped!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment