"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, January 8, 2011

God's Banking

As a young child, I loved going to the bank. It was such a thrill when my sister and I were taken to the downtown branch of our local bank to open our very own savings accounts. We were each given a small green book which would help us keep track of how much money we had in the bank. Over the years, as we saved up some of our own money from our allowances, we would go on exciting journeys to the bank to deposit it into our accounts. The little green books accompanied us on every bank adventure. The bank employee would stamp the date in our little green books, and then would write in the amount of our deposit and our balance. Even though I didn't quite grasp the concept of interest or dividends, I loved the fact that my money was growing.

Travel with me to November 7, 1999. My 7 year-old son, Rob, was riding with me to church on that Sunday morning which happened to be my birthday. His financial goal, for a long time, had been to save fifty dollars so he could take it to the bank and exchange his money for a fifty dollar bill.
He had finally reached that goal during the previous week, and was so proud of his crisp fifty dollar bill.

As we turned into the church parking lot, Rob confided, "Dad had to borrow my fifty dollar bill. He was low on money, and we wanted to get you a birthday present. Dad will pay me back on Wednesday when he gets paid." I immediately felt the tears welling up in my eyes as I thought of Bob having to borrow Rob's money that he had saved for so long. However, my sadness turned to laughter as Rob continued, "I will give him a two-day grace period to pay me back. After Friday, it will be $5.00 more for each day!"

It occurs to me that I still enjoy going to the bank, even though most transactions today can be done online. Maybe it is just more personal to make a trip to the bank. Or, maybe it brings back good memories of those simple days when I traveled with my family and my beloved little green bank book.

In a similar way, we make small deposits throughout each day. Those deposits may come in the form of a listening ear or a kind, encouraging word.
If we are even aware of the deposits, they may seem small to us. But, in God's timing, He will use those efforts and will make those deposits grow.
Just as I did not quite understand the concept of interest or dividends as a child, we cannot completely understand God's system of "banking". But, just as Rob offered a grace period to his dad, God offers His grace to us. As we receive that grace, we begin to grow.

2 Peter 3:18 - But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment