"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, November 8, 2010

Balconies and Bars

At this moment, I am sitting in a white plastic chair on an 11th floor balcony, drinking French Vanilla hot chocolate, eating cheese crackers, relaxing, and thoroughly enjoying the ocean. This day at the beach is a birthday gift that I gave myself. And, God is so gracious to provide the sights and sounds of nature. The vastness of the ocean never ceases to amaze me. And, oh how I love the sound of the crashing waves!

If I sit on the balcony as I am now, I view the ocean through black bars (which, by the way, I am grateful are there since they protect me from falling eleven stories to my death!). However, if I stand on this balcony, I can enjoy the ocean with no bars obstructing the view. It seems significant to me that, to remove the obstacles, I need to change my position.

It occurs to me that we sometimes sit in our current circumstances and view the world through obstructing "bars" that we have created for ourselves.
I am very aware that a solution may not be an "easy fix". But, I am convinced that, in some life situations, a good start is to change our view.
Maybe this will involve choosing to develop a different attitude which will help us see the current circumstances through new eyes. While the scenario may be the same, getting in a position which removes the obstructing "bars" may help us see more clearly how to handle the situation.

One week ago, I received a good six-month medical report, after being diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. What a blessing and a relief to learn that, six months after surgery and radiation treatments, there were no signs of cancer! But, yesterday I shared with friends that I am thankful that I was diagnosed with cancer this year as it put me in a position which changed how I view the world. I notice things that I might have missed before. Even though my life is not perfect, there are no self-created "bars" obstructing my view.

On this day, I am choosing to position myself to see clearly and to be thankful....for this time at the beach on a beautiful sunny day in November, for another birthday, for the ability to walk on the beach, for good health, for an earthly family and a Heavenly Father who love me, for friends who value me and who accept me "as is", for encouraging words which sometimes arrive through songs or from chance meetings with strangers, for opportunities to serve God, for teachers who taught me to read and write, for a job that I enjoy and that gives me opportunities to make a difference, for money to pay my bills, for a home....the list of blessings is as vast as the ocean!

Are there "bars" obstructing your view of life? If so, think about how you can position yourself to see more clearly. There is an ocean of blessings that you don't want to miss!


No comments:

Post a Comment